To access MySQL that has been installed as part of MAMP:
1. Click on File, Edit Template and then MySQLmy.cnf
2. On line 37 (normally) you will see the bind-address = 127.0.0.1 (localhost) by default. Change this to: 0.0.0.0
3. Open phpMyAdmin on the local machine, click on the Users tab and then Add user
4. Enter details of the username and password. On the Database for user section choose Grant all privileges on wildcard name. Check all privileges for the user. (Ensure that Grant is ticked under Administration)
Click on Add user.
5. Restart the MAMP servers.