For: Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, Elderberries, Blackcurrants etc.
This recipe makes a minimum of 6 pints (usually more depending on how juicy the fruit is) of fruit cordial / concentrate / squash.
- Place 5lbs of fruit (with stalks on, or off, it doesn’t matter) into a large plastic container
- Dissolve 2 1/2oz (70g) of tartaric acid in 2 pints of cold water
- Pour water (& tartaric acid) over fruit
- Seal container with an air-tight lid
- Stand for 24 hours and then strain through a fine-mesh sieve (with muslin on top if you want to ensure zero small parts of fruit get through)
- Place juice in mixer bowl, and with mixer on slowest speed setting, add 3lbs of sugar and continue stirring until fully dissolved.
- Bottle in glass bottles (a funnel helps a lot!) and then store in a cool place (or fridge).
- Repeat the same as day One using the fruit left over, but only use 2oz (55g) of tartaric acid and only 2 1/2 lbs of sugar.
- Repeat the same as day One using the fruit left over, but only use 1oz (30g) of tartaric acid and with only 2 1/2 lbs of sugar.